Known for its large, round holes and sweet, nutty taste, Jarlsberg®, Norway’s finest export. Its characteristic holes and distinctive taste mean it’s the star of every cheeseboard – but there’s no need to stop at pairing with your finest oat crackers or water biscuits… Jarlsberg® keeps its flavour when melted – making it a creamy addition to sandwiches and burgers, and puts a delicious spin on all manner of classic recipes and cheese-inspired favourites.
This winter, Jarlsberg® is calling on Brits to #MakeaSandWish. From mouth-watering mac n’ cheese subs to spicy gazpacho-inspired creations, a Jarlsberg® SandWish is all about using classic dishes to inspire a unique take on the nation’s favourite lunchtime staple – the sandwich.
Use the hashtag #MakeaSandWish to share your creations on Facebook and Twitter, and post your ultimate SandWish on www.jarlsberg.com/sandwish for a chance to win the beach holiday of a lifetime.
Here are a couple of mouth watering sandwich recipes to help you celebrate National Sandwich Day and Jarlsberg®
Jarlsberg Mac ‘n’ Cheese Sub
For the pasta:
600g of pasta flour
6 egg yolks
4 whole eggs
Dash olive oil
For the Béchamel sauce:
50 g flour
50 g butter
500ml milk (hot)
For the pasta:
1. Blend the ingredients together in a mixer and then rest for 1/2 hour.
2. Rolls the pasta into long macaroni shapes (using a pencil or long utensil).
3. Stick the pasta together with water and flour to create the shape of a sub.
4. Place past in an oven at 180 degrees until golden brown (about 30-40 mins).
For the Béchamel:
1. In a pot on a medium heat melt the butter.
2. Add the flour and mix together until it forms a ball.
3. Add the hot milk slowly and cook for 10 minutes until a thick sauce is formed.
Pour the Béchamel onto the pasta sub once cooled.
Add Parma ham, quails eggs, avocado, tomato, rocket and grated Jarlsberg for an indulgent appearance
Jarlsberg® Gazpacho ‘SandWishes’
For the Piadina dough: (NB. Best made the day prior to using so dough can rest)
For the gazpacho soup:
5 vine ripened tomatoes
1 clove of garlic
1 small red onion
2 red peppers
1 small cucumber
Handful of fresh basil
50ml chardonnay vinegar
100ml olive oil
For the dough:
1. Mix all the ingredients and knead together for 5 mins
2. Put the dough into a bowl and cover with cling film, chill in the fridge overnight
For the soup:
1. Blend everything together until smooth
2. Pour soup into an espuma gun (cream charger) in preparation for gazpacho sandwiches
For the final dish:
1. Cut the dough into 50g pieces
2. Roll out with a rolling pin until flat
3. Deep fry or char grill until the Piadina puffs up into a ball like shape
4. Allow the Piadina to cool, then fill with the gazpacho via the espuma gun
5. Layer two slices of Jarlsberg® cheese on the gazpacho sandwich
6. Grill until the Jarlsberg® is golden brown
For more recipe ideas, visit www.jarlsberg.com